Monday, October 12, 2009

That's more like it.

I think it was three weeks ago now that I finished the `66 Corvette, but it may have just been two. I took a couple days to sand and polish the finish out. I started with 800 wet/dry and progressed through 1000, 1200, 1500 and finally 2000. I like using mineral spirits for the lubricant instead of water. Then I used my buffer with Maquires #1 & #2 polish it to a final shine. I'm very pleased with how this one came out, it has a great shine, the finish is quite thin and I have no sand throughs or significant flaws.

The pots and switch are new (CTS and Switchcraft), it's fitted with a treble bleed circuit and a TV Jones Powertron Plus. I kept the old guard and Grover tuners, but cut a new nut from bone. The bridge, of course, is the replacement Gotoh. It intonates perfectly, the frets feel great, and all in all it plays like a dream. Probably the best of all three of my `vettes.

About the only thing I may change is the pickup. I'm starting to really like the stock Gretsch Hi-Sens Filtertron in my Astro Jet. Much more so than the Powertrons in my other `vettes and the Powertron Plus in this one. The Filtertron doesn't have nearly as much of a humbucker character as these Powertrons do, and I find I prefer that. There is an edgey rudeness to the stock Filtertron and a lack of mids compared to the Powertrons that sound good in the mix with our band.

I think I'm going to experiment with some different pickups and may be switching all my Gretsches to what I find I like best. That could be a Hi-Sens Filtertron (essentially the factory stock Gretsch pickup), a Hot Rod Filtertron, a TV Jones Classic or a TV Jones Classic Plus. Those are my options, as I see things right now.

Click on the photo for the gallery of final pictures. No more refinishing projects this year as winter is almost here. I have a number of amp and pedal projects though, so I've got stuff to tinker with.

From 1966 Corvette finished

No comments:

Post a Comment