Thursday, August 23, 2007

The great cop-out?

I dunno...maybe it was a cop-out...maybe a pragmatic decision..maybe just an artistic change of course...but after eight coats of tung oil, I decided I wasn't liking the finish and feel of the guitar, so I bought some True-Oil last monday:



I steel wooled everything down and started applying True Oil with small squares of cotton rag. I did the back and neck first...about 5-6 coats....steel wooling in between. Then flipped it over and did another five or so coats on the front and sides. This was mostly trough last week.

This stuff has a lot of varnish in it as well as some raw linseed oil. It's made for gun stocks and is quite hard and pretty durable. It goes on easy and after a couple coats dries glossy enough to almost look like lacquer. I steel wooled the final coat and then buffed with a piece of cashmier scarf...it gave it exactly the feel and look I wanted. Not fully grain filled and smooth, but better than the tung oil, and just a nice satin finish. Perfect! Pictures soon. Still have to do the back of the neck and the headstock sides and back tonight.

Mean time, I masked off most of the neck and headstock, except the very face. Next I grain filled the headstock face, hit it with some Deft sand and sealer, then sanded smooth. Cleaned that off and primed with some black Duplicolor lacquer automotive primer. After it dried overnight, I carefully wet sanded the headstock dead smooth and then cleaned again and shot it with some gloss black acrylic lacquer. Once it had dried a couple days, I applied one of the Gretsch masks and shot some metallic gold lacquer I got at the auto parts store. It's Duplicolor touch up paint...I can't remember exactly what for, but will post that detail later. Then it was five good coats of acrylic clear lacquer and let it sit for a bit again.

Tonight the plan is to finish rubbing out the True OIl, buff out the headtsock, then take care of a couple other small things before starting assembly.

The pickguard shipped tuesday....be nice if it was here by friday, but I doubt it will be. More soon...including, finally, some more pictures! The end is in site!

No comments:

Post a Comment