Thursday, May 21, 2009

Is that a light at tunnel's end?

Got three coats of clear on after work yesterday! Woot! Surprising to me, it took the better part of a whole can to do that...and I felt like I was putting on thin coats. I guess that means, with two other guitars that will be needing finish work, that I'm gonna have to go to Rockler for more clear sometime soon. At least they keep sending me coupons.

So far so good...little orange peeley, but that's not surprising. I'm gonna lay down another three tonight after work, then it will sit till next tuesday. At that point I might sand out with 400 grit...or not...in either case, I plan to do another two three coat sessions and see how it's looking. This Behlins' lacquer dries real fast!

From Astro Jet Work 2


That didn't take long to tack rag/wipe down with degreaser/tack rag again, then paint...so....I started in on some of the other tasks that need to be done. I cut one of the ears off the reissue Hi-Sens filtertron neck pup I got. For some reason they put those extensions on the base plates these days. Too wide for the routes in my Astro, so they must come off. I just razor saw them off (X-Acto) and file them down...not a big deal.

From Astro Jet Work 2


I also started polishing the tension bar parts my buddy Eric made for me. I asked him to leave them unpolished, as I wasn;t sure what way I wanted to go with them. I've decided I want a semi-polish on them. Not as shiney as stainless can get when fully polished...but somewhere in between where they where when I got them and super shiney new. Think used...petina...what ever...think relic if you want...I shall not be. I'm using my cheap knock-off Dremel, some buffing wheels, some toothpaste and the "jewler's rouge" that came with my heap knock-off Dremel. It's gonna take some time...but the round part is coming along seemingly well.

From Astro Jet Work 2



BTW...if you're reading this...ever....think about leaving a comment! Thanks!

1 comment:

  1. I have a very similar astro jet 1965 that I refinished with tung oil varnish (not knowing any better) Good luck with yours, mine has supertrons - not sure why yours are different. Watch out for the neck/head joint, mine broke due to a bad habit of leaning the guitar against a wall when not in use. Nice work on this one, and your Corvette also, very interesting blog Franco - Suffolk, England

    ReplyDelete