Friday, May 22, 2009

So far, so good

Got another three coats of clear on after work. I put these on a bit heavier than the first three, but not what I would call super wet. It looks pretty rough right after you shoot, but the lacquer flows out some as it dries and starts smoothing fairly well. I inspected it again before I left for the weekend and it's getting nice and glossy.

From Astro Jet Work 2


I'm not sure how much more I will put on. I'm not going for a flawless finish or a super high gloss one like you might find on a factory fresh Gibson. I want relatively thin and moderately glossy. Yesterdays three coats was much of a second can of clear. That kind of freaks me out that it's taking so much paint. It is a big guitar, however, and I am getting a lot of waste given I'm using spray bombs. I figure I'll do another three coats (hopefully) next week and see where it stands. If I think I can buff/sand it out with that amount, I'll stop. I may also sand it out with some quality 400 (or 600) wet dry before I shoot those three coats. I'm going to contemplate that over the weekend. All in all I'm happy with how it's going so far.

I polished a bit more on the tension bar (looking good) and cut the other ear off the neck pup last night as well. Plus I went through my parts making sure I had my knobs, pickup rings and other parts in one place. Time and effort...that's pretty much all that's left...that and a three way switch and some pots and caps...

No comments:

Post a Comment