Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Much better...

Last week I started sanding out the Corvette. I got through 800 and part way into 1000 grit before the weekend. Monday night I finished with the 1000 and did 1200 grit. Last night I used 1500 and then 2000, wiped it down and got the buffer out. It's not quite a mirror shine, but it's closer than I've gotten yet. I think I needed to spend more time with each grit to ensure the previous grit's scratches where completely eliminated. I have some fine swirl marks in the finish still. Overall though, I don't think I have a single sand through, it's smooth and shiny and it looks good.

This morning I installed the pickup, which required some wood removal on the floor of the pickup route. I decided to use the clear pickup ring. I also installed the bridge bushings and was able to route a ground wire from the treble side post to the control cavity. I have a aged bone blank for the nut and will start on that next. I also need to decide if I'm going to go with coil splitting or not. The pickup, a TV Jones Powertron Plus, is wired for it and I think I have a push/pull pot to use. Or I could go with a micro switch and drill a new hole in the non-original guard. Lastly, I dropped the output jack cup in a jar of lacquer thinner in prep for cleaning and installation.

I'll edit and add some photos when our mail is up and running here at work....

From 66 Corvette work

No comments:

Post a Comment