Monday, June 29, 2009

Another arrow in the quiver.

I've been playing the Astro Jet quite a bit. It doesn't stay in tune with trem use as well as I'd like. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about that yet. Ideally, it would be great if it held tune...but I'm not sure a) how important that is for me in the real world and b) if the major surgery I suspect it would take to fix it is worth it. I think ultimately it would require removing the zero fret, shortening the fretboard and basically converting the guitar to a conventional nut. That's some fairly serious work and alterations. Going to contemplate it for a while, but I think the next move is to try some 11s on it...that may get it closer to the ballpark.

I'm not sure how I'm gonna pay for it short of selling something, but I could not pass up my latest acquisition. It's on the UPS truck for delivery today. A (supposedly) 1965 Gretsch Corvette. Two pick up version with Burns vibrato, what appears to be the original finish, the original pickguard (though that extra knob is curious) and in overall very nice condition with no breaks or issues, so says the seller. The tuners are not stock...they where swapped out for Grovers (vintage ones by the looks of it). I'm pretty pumped....it was about $850 shipped.

From 1965 Corvette

No comments:

Post a Comment