Thursday, July 9, 2009

Back on the Explorer

Got back to work on the Explorer this week. Not a lot of time to do stuff this week and next because I'm kind of busy learning new songs and preparing for our anniversary party on the 19th, but I needed something to fiddle with to help decompress in the evenings, so back on the bench it goes.

I decided to stick with the kit control layout, switch/volume/tone and routed (by hand with a Dremel) around the cutout for a cover. Not really pretty, but functional. The piece of plastic they supply for the cover isn't the right shape, so I'll have to make one. Template for said job is ready. Also opened everything up to accept full size CTS 500k pots...

From Explorer Kit


If it gets a pickguard, it will be small and not like a typical Gibson style...so I know what I'm not going to do there....just need to decided what, if anything, on the pickguard front.

Since it's a bit neck heavy, I decided to just whack off as much headstock as I could with more of an eye for function than aesthetics. I didn't want to "Parker" it, but after designing a half dozen different shapes in Illustrator, I just sat down with a pencil, sketched in a shape and started cutting wood off with a coping saw. In the end, I'm pleased with it. I have some Gibson vinyl stencils for painting the logo on headstocks and thought about putting one on this. Now I think it will just stay black..unless I decided to try my hand at a simple inlay, like a letter "E" or something.

Here's the result:

From Explorer Kit



On a guitar forum I frequent someone suggested sculpting the heal down. So I did. The end result is much much more comfy high up the neck. Thanks to whomever that was! Looks like this now..big difference. I did this with a little drum sander on my "Dremel" combined with hand sanding with 80 grit, then 120.

From Explorer Kit



Next up is a general sand smooth, then grain filler/sealer and start on the finish.

Oh yeah...here's a shot of the Schaller pickups going in it. Have never heard these, but I had a 80's Schaller once and loved it, so I snagged these off ebay cheap a while back...they now have a home. Expect they'll be pretty hot...they measure around 12-13 kOhms..

From Explorer Kit

No comments:

Post a Comment