Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Huh, I thought I had one of those...

I sat down to do some more work on the binding last night. After casting about for a bit, I realized I did not have a scraper. I thought I'd ordered one from Stew Mac, but apparently not. No big deal, I ended up using a single edge razor blade, which seems to work just fine.

I started on the treble side and it became apparent where the low spots in the neck are over time. I decided, for various reasons and some internal debate, to sand the finish off the entire neck, rather than strip it chemically. Once the binding was level with most of that side of the neck, I sanded the rest of the finish away and made some putty for the low points.

I briefly contemplated gouging out a more or less square area in the biggest low spot and laminating some wood in there, but decided to just go with putty instead. I made some of my own to use. I've been saving sanding and routing dust from past guitars and have a little ziplock bag full of vintage mahogany dust. I mixed some of that with some hide glue to make a putty and applied some to the neck.

That was about it for last night.

From Astro Jet work 1


This morning, before work, I sanded some on the "putty" and mixed up/applied another coat. I also was able to get the bass side mostly scraped down. It will need a bit more work, but not much. Next up is getting the top edges brought down level with the finger board. I think that's going to mostly be a careful filing job.

No comments:

Post a Comment