Friday, April 17, 2009

more binding work

I removed the tape last night for the treble side binding and all looked good. I cut a length for the bass side, made doubly sure the channel was cleaned out and ready, as well as wiping down the new piece with some naptha. A generous application of WeldOn #16 and I put the bass side binding on. I suppose I went a little overboard on the tape for this side, but tape is cheap.:D

From Astro Jet work 1


Next I cut and filed a piece for the end of the neck and got that glued on and taped up. Once this sets over the weekend (I'll be at my GF's all weekend), I'll remove the tape and start scraping & filing the binding down to flush. I expect that will take a while. I also need to address the low spots in the wood on the treble side. The binding had been off a while and someone played a lot of the wood away on that side. Not sure what it's going to take to fix that, I will evaluate it probably tuesday evening, as I have band practice monday night after work.

I trimmed out the second pickguard template and layed it up on the body. I used a green fine point sharpie to mark where all the adjustments had to be made. Brought that into work today, scanned it and proceeded to make the necessary adjustments. I've printed a couple copies off to double check, but I have a feeling it's ready to send off to have the pickguard made. That will likely happen next week.

From Astro Jet work 1


The (perhaps) final pickguard template:

From Astro Jet work 1


I also worked up some line art for the missing badge on the bass side upper bout. Not 100% sure how I'm going to go about replicating that...or if I'll bother to come up with a pseudo serial number for it. I don;t know what the actual serial number of this guitar is, nor have I been able to figure out exactly what year it is.

From Astro Jet work 1


I have my eye on a regulay old Gretsch Filtertron neck pickup ending tonight on ebay. If it doesn;t get too high, I'm going to try to win it. I have a regaular old Filtertron for the bridge right now...I'll make use of these till I have the spare cash to buy a set of TV Jones pickups.

No comments:

Post a Comment