Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Blush!

I was really fighting the finish on the Explorer that last week. I kept getting blushing on the front as I would apply clear coats. This weekend I picked up a can of Behlin's Blush Eraser. Last night I took the Explorer outside and layed it down face up and shot a couple coats of blush eraser on the problem areas. Miraculously, they disappeared! So the stuff works as advertised. Now, as it has enough clear on it, I just need to wait a week or so, then sand and buff the finish, Here's a terrible photo so far:

From Explorer Kit


Last week I also got started on my "mystery" `vette. I say that because I've not yet precisely dated this one. The serial number is more or less illegible due to a past refinish by a previous owner. I know the first number is a 4, and thin it's something along the lines of 76?4?, with the question marks representing illegible numbers and the 6 a not 100% certain guess. In any case, it's either a 1964 or a 1965, this much I know.

Anyway, I got all the hardware stripped off and started using Citrus Strip to get that hideous finish off there. It went quickly as it seemed to be house paint overcoated with clear varnish. I'm part way through sanding at this stage and have started working on getting the bridge holes plugged. The original bridge is long gone, someone (around 1982 I think) fitted it with a tuneomatic style, but didn't get it in quite the right place. I have a nice Gotoh tuneomatic I'm going to instal.

From 66 Corvette work



Here's a before shot linked to the "before" gallery as well.

From 1966 Gretsch Corvette

No comments:

Post a Comment