Thursday, August 27, 2009

Yay! Pictures!

Finally, some new photos. Before work this morning I drug the Explorer and Corvette outside and shot their progress to date. First, the Explorer:

No progress yet...this is what she looks like at this time. It's all gassed out and ready to sand and buff. I figure I'll work on that when the `vette is all painted. Probably not much more on updates for the Explorer till it's done, really. Beside rubbing it out, all I need to do is a fret level, new nut and assembly. Run of the mill stuff.....maybe I document the processes, maybe not...we shall see..

Click on the photo to see the Explorer Gallery:

From Explorer Kit



On the Corvette I have made much progress. I finished stripping all the old house paint and varnish off. Sanded it out. Filled the grain. Shot sand and sealer. Sanded that out. Then shot a couple passes of clear on it. Then I sanded the headstock face smooth and tried to touch up the Gretsch decal just a little bit. After I had masked it off, I shot the headstock face black and then put a couple coats of clear on it. IN and amongst that process I also pulled the old frets and sanded to board to re-radius it to 12" and smooth it out. I refretted, leveled and crowned and smoothed the ends on the new frets as well.

So...at this point I need to decided how I want it to look. I have three options I am considering. Keeping it like it looks now...which would mean just shooting more clear. Doing a natural burst...basically fogging dome medium walnut tinted clear around the edges to give it a bit of a burst finish. I also have enough Stew Mac Cherry toner left from my Astro Jet project to finish it in clear red. I am going to not have a chance to work on it again till early next week, so I have the time between then and now to contemplate this. I suppose I could also finish it like the Explorer somewhat....clear yellow(ish) in the middle, medium brown around the edges fading into a darker brown I have. Hmmm..

Again, clicking on the photo opens a gallery with more pics. The darker area on the right side of the body is from the original pickguard (long gone). When it deteriorated / disintegrated it did something to the wood...something soaked into it.

From 66 Corvette work

No comments:

Post a Comment