Friday, August 14, 2009

Oops...forgot pictures again...

Didn't do anymore to the Explorer yet..still letting it gas out prior to sadning and polishing the nitro. Might get to that next week. I did make some progress on the Corvette though. It's stripped and I had started sanding it out, but I stopped that for a bit and turned my attention to the bridge this week.

I don't, at the moment, have a permanent place to set up my drill press. So I cleared some space on my bench and lugged it inside and set it up. Damn it's heavy. I used it and my newly acquired 1/2" plug cutter to make some proper mahogany plugs with correct grain orientation. I got the old bridge holes drilled out to 1/2" with a Fostner bit, cut some lengths of 1/2" diameter mahogany dowel that fell short of filling the holes by around a 1/4" or more. This allowed me to use the mahogany plugs to cap off the holes and have wood with the grain going the correct direction instead of end grain, like on my Twist restoration.

Once these had dried overnight (Titebond III), I cut the plugs flush and marked up the exact location of my new Gotoh tuneomatic. I could have sworn I had a 7/16th" diameter drill already, but I could not locate it. Had to run out to the hardware store and pick one up. So, now the new bridge holes are drilled. I think next week I will sand some more and start getting the frets pulled in prep for the refret. Not sure how far I will get...

...because I decided whilst I have the drill press out and set up I will go ahead and do all the drilling on my Bulldog Les Paul kit. It will need to have the headstock tuner holes plugged and redrilled to line up with the Gibson headstock overlay I've acquired. Plus then the bridge and stop tail holes need to be drilled out. I will likely then set it aside and refocus on the Corvette and perhaps some other projects I have in the wings. We shall see.

I don't have any good photos of the Bulldog kit yet, but these are their pics of my exact kit. The gallery also has some representative photos optional one piece neck and a shot of the style of headstock overlay I chose.

From Bulldog LP kit

No comments:

Post a Comment